Wednesday, May 5, 2010

For Rebel

While at the Southeastern Colorado Heritage Center I bought a book by C. J. Hadley.  I started reading tonight and the following passage made me think of my new friend in Western Kansas, Rebel, and the conversations we have had.
So Rebel this is for you.

"Cowboys have worked and lived on the ranges of the American West for over a hundred years.  They have tended cattle, tamed wild horses, and spent months away from the comforts of instant heat and light.  Sadly, their country and numbers are dwindling, their lives changing because of expanding urban population, pickup trucks, and a depressing switch from family to corporate ranch ownership.  But for the lucky few, the cowboy world is much the same as it was before the turn of the century."

Chris, you better show Rebel this passage, as I know he shies from the computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment