Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Glacier National Park, Montana

After arriving at Glacier's West entrance, I once again found "no room at the inn", so I back peddled to Columbia Falls, about 14 miles away and spent two very nice days at the Columbia Falls RV park.  It was a nice change of pace to have electric hookup and water.  On Sunday I finally found space in Glacier at the Apgar Campground where I am now, with service for my Verizon air card for my laptop, but surprisingly, no phone service.  Glacier National Park shares its borders with Canada and is called Waterton-Glacier in Canada.  It is one contiguous park with beautiful vistas, valleys, mountains, glaciers and of course the famous
Going To The Sun Road.  As with most National Parks, the Road is in disrepair, but the views are well worth the occasional wait. The Road is also the starting point for many hikes that are available in the park.  Glacier West Village and Apgar Village offer no shortage of retail opportunities including supplies, food, and of course the always popular gift item.  Enjoy some photos.  TC...
                                            Busy, busy.....
                                      Beautiful Lake McDonald.
                                   This lodge was built in 1914, but the lodge was actually established in 1895 when George Snyder homesteaded the land and built the small Snyder Hotel.
                                                                                                                      
Logan Pass.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Terry: Finally found the time to view your blog and thought I would catch up since the last time we talked in Apgar. Made it home safely with thoughts of wonderlust still in my brain. That will have to wait until I retire in may 2011. Already in the planning stage for a much longer bike trip next summer. I've enjoyed your writing and photographs. Many of the pictures are of spots that I've seen in and around Glacier over the many years I have been coming to the park. Where next for you? If you ever find your way out east, look me up in Northern Wisconsin. Dave.Daniels67@hotmail.com, or phone 7154930419. Safe travels. By the way, did you arrange for the house sitting gig in Washington? Best, Dave.

    ReplyDelete