Thursday, April 22, 2010

Branson Missouri

Driving into Branson on Rt. 65 brought back memories of when Mike and I did the same but from Arkansas heading north, and on Harleys. I entered this time from 44 West which also was familiar. Route 66 and 44 West parallel each other and we drove Route 66 to California. The mountains are more spectacular the way I approached. I managed a few photos of the Arch while driving through St. Louis. The Arch is the “Gateway To The West”. It is a gleaming stainless steel structure that towers over the city of St. Louis, Mo. It is a site to behold. It is a 630 foot semi circle that makes the arches at McDonalds look like little babies. Its purpose was to honor and inspire those who headed west to seek their fortune and fame and to expand the new frontier. You know, “Go West Young Man”. Horace Greeley.
When we were in Branson we saw a copy cat Beatle show called Liverpool Legends. I couldn’t resist taking a picture of the marquee of the same show going now. I call Branson a circus town. There is so much going on. Country Western shows of all flavor and just about any other kind of show and entertainment. This town started out when the likes of Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and others provided a venue for future stars to show off their stuff. From that small idea it has turned into a Mecca of entertainment.
I check into the Table Rock State Park and picked a site across the Table Rock River and Marina which in part is created by the Table Rock Dam. Lots of things named Table Rock here.
The wineries seem to call out my name and today I toured another. Pat the young lady who poured and toured was very informative. Those large oak barrels are 160 years old. Actually at one point in time the Stone Hill Winery was the second largest in the nation. All the grapes are from Missouri and I assure you at least the Hermannsberger is excellent. You can actually taste the oak in the flavor of the wine. No grapes from Branson though, much too rocky, only from other parts of Missouri.
This campground seems to be a place to do exactly what I am doing; make this your temporary home while you visit Branson and help the economy, which from my assessment, doesn’t need too much help. Hey, I’ll do what I can though.
Today I spent all day at Silver Dollar City. It is an 1800’s Missouri Country theme park. For a $56.00 entry fee you to see get to see numerous shows, ride a train, see many exhibits and experience great food and so much fun. I started out with breakfast of an amazing walnut cheese pastry and coffee. The pastry was baked on site and the smell sort of drew me in like a moth to a flame, or a hungry person who didn’t have breakfast. The Fiery Fiddles show was a Las Vegas quality 45 minute show that was great. Note the lovely playing fiddle upside down. She did it all, sang, played an amazing violin and did the acrobat thing too. Lunch was next that consisted of a sausage sandwich that called my attention and my name earlier. I had to go back and indulge. See the Castorine Oil picture, I figured if it didn’t work on the car it would help my stomach. I figured I would need it by the end of the day! The Silver Dollar Saloon show was great with comedy and a bevy of beauties that were cute and had great voices too. A Russian band that played Glenn Miller stuff and other American favorites was also a lot of fun. Ice cream for dinner was next on the menu. Oh well, so much for the diet. There was a glass blowing show, wood carving and a great train ride with a half way show that was very funny. The Pickers were very funny.
If you are ever in Branson, Silver Dollar City is a must. Well worth the admission and more. Kansas and all the cowboy towns is my next stop. Looking forward to that, partner…Enjoy some pictures. TC…









2 comments:

  1. Wow! That looked like a fun one! I will have to go there one day for sure.
    (Hey Focker, you like Peter, Paul and Mary??) (Check out the people who have visited)
    I crack myself up! Love you have fun. Got postcards! Keep em comin!
    Love you Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liverpool Legends - a mighty fine band; they almost sounded like the real deal. I miss the riding!

    ReplyDelete