Monday, April 12, 2010

Ohio/Pike Lake State Park

When I left West Virginia for Ohio I was looking forward to seeing another part of the country, but even more so, I was looking forward to be traveling on Rt. 50, my chosen route across country. You may recall Tom Brokaw (SP?) did a show about Rt. 50 and the everyday Americans that live along its borders. From what I had heard it was an old connection from east to west, not dissimilar from Rt. 66, and very scenic. Traveling the rest of 68 west to 79 south to 50 out of West Virginia was all scenic and beautifully mountainous. But it paled in comparison to 50 itself. Rt. 50, at least coming out of West Virginia and 200 miles into Ohio, is a combination of the Pacific Coast Highway without the water, the Blue Ridge Parkway except with even more incredible views that leave your mouth gaping and you laughing out loud with the sheer beauty of the scenery. (No Pictures while driving) Going through many of the small towns though gave me a contrary feeing. It is clear that the America you read and hear about is evident in Southern Ohio. Many “closed” signs and boarded up stores prevail. I was wondering as I was driving through if some of the people, young people, on the steps and porches of houses, know about the rest of the America that most of us know about? Someone just recently told me that Americans don’t know how good they have it. I guess not all Americans. The phrase “The mine shut down”, seems to be pretty common in West Virginia and Ohio too, so says Charlie and Ramona, camping acquaintances.
I arrived at Pike Lake State Park after a seven mile ride through the woods to find a magnificent facility in a valley setting. After choosing a great site near a stream I set up. Set up is starting to become routine. Dinner, some wine and a cigar, while watching a Fleetwood Mac Video, finished my evening. For those of you who called and for those who I promised I would call back, sorry, no service up here in them thar hills. I am writing this on Sunday morning April 11, 2010 after breakfast just for the record, with the hope of getting this post and my West Virginia post entered as soon as possible, so if you see the same dates on two posts, you will know why. Spock out.
I went into Bainbridge this morning so I can get cellular service and post my W. VA. entry, and to try and find a welder to come out and reposition my anti sway bar that I added on in Greenbelt Maryland. Turns out you find good things when you least expect them. I was directed to a Mennonite farm house that was actually T.A. Weaver Lumber MFG., Manufacturers and Suppliers of Log Homes. Rodney, the owner, gave me Steve Sheets phone number and Steve will be out this afternoon to take care of the welding. But the point is, that the ride through the mountains was spectacular and unexpected, especially when I came across JRS General Store and Farm Market. Lots of small farms that supply many local such markets, I am told, mostly Mennonite too. It reminded me of Lancaster County and the Amish.
I guess Forest was right when he said “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get”. Next stop is the largest state park in Indiana, Brown County State Park in the town of Nashville, In. where my darling daughter will overnight my new tag for the pop that she received in NC. What a sweet girl……Love you honey.
Enjoy some pictures. TC…
Post Script: Steve came out to my campsite and did a great job of welding my sway bar the right way. He asked if $35.00 was ok. I told him $45.00 sounded better. He was pleased and so was I. It probably would have cost $100.00 or more in Florida.


2 comments:

  1. Hi Dad,
    Love the posts and the pics! It sure is beautiful there.
    I like your little kitty friend too. Cute!
    You should be getting the tag today! Love you and miss you!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. TC,

    We are waiting to see more pics in your travels. Be careful and enjoy.

    Charlie & Ramona

    ReplyDelete