Monday, April 12, 2010

West Virginia/Chestnut Ridge Park

I wish I could sufficiently describe the beauty of the mountains and small towns in the valleys along the Cumberland Gap on Rt. 68 of western Maryland and West Virginia. But I find myself searching for words that I know will not do justice to its beauty. I believe the song writer and singer John Denver had it right when he wrote and sang about West Virginia being “almost heaven”. From what I have seen so far, I can honestly say that West Virginia is one of the most beautiful states I have ever be in.
Checking into Chestnut Ridge Regional Park and Campground was a snap, and Bruce the full time attendant gave me what I consider to be a choice site. After an easy set up that evening I enjoyed a campfire and a few rum and cokes. Camping is fun…..
Today I visited the Forks of Cheat Winery in Morgantown. A small winery owned and family operated for many years. I had the pleasure of meeting Darryl DeGripp who was kind enough to let me sample the products of the winery and also give me a tour of the distillery, and it’s history. Lots of fun and very good local wine. I left with a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon from 2007 that was quite reasonable in price and very good. The label is so pretty, I hate to open it. But I will! The cat you ask? She attached herself to me. I am usually a dog lover, but I must say this cat was a cutie. Cutie cat, cutie cat, say that fast a few times.
On the way back to camp I stopped at the local general store, The Mountaineer, I had two chili dogs and a coke. Not my usual fare, but I couldn’t resist given the aroma and the reasonable price. I finished it off with a home made raisin filled sugar cookie. Let me tell you this; they know how to bake in West Virginia. If you want anything from a shot gun, fire wood, groceries, or a cheap lunch, visit the Mountaineer and see Mary or Kim, two cutie cats in their own right.
I am sitting in my camper now watching the rain fall off my awning. We were scheduled for rain and gusty winds along with a cold front tonight and early tomorrow. I brought in my electric space heater from the car top carrier for tonight so as not to use propane for my furnace. I am hoping it does the trick along with my securing of the awning that is moaning in the wind. Gulp!!!
If it clears up tomorrow I will head into Morgantown to see what’s what. It is supposed to be a great little “walk about” kind of town with some neat stuff to see. Rain still falling.
Friday morning and it has stopped raining, but it is also 38 degrees according to the national weather service. The space heater did a good job, but I also turned on the furnace this morning for a little while to get the chill out of the air. Surprisingly the pop up does a good job for a modified tent. I couldn’t imagine doing this in a tent as I thought I would initially.
Morgantown is the home of West Virginia University. It is an old town with brick buildings that has the old time electric wire crossing this way and that. Lots of college looking people walking the streets and little store fronts painted in bright colors selling coffee, sandwiches, books and the usual stuff college kids need. I liked the town, but not the pot holed streets. I guess economics has affected Morgantown too.
I should be leaving West Virginia tomorrow headed for Ohio and the Pine Lake State Park in Bainbridge. West Virginia is not what you may have heard about in all the stereotype comments and jokes about brothers marrying sisters or people with no teeth. On the contrary, I have met some very friendly, good natured and helpful people. They had teeth too. It wouldn’t be a bad place to settle down in. If one were looking for that. Enjoy some pictures. TC…

2 comments:

  1. TC,
    My wife and I enjoyed meeting you at Pike Lake State Park this past weekend. Your story is inspiring and we wish you safe travels in your adventure. We will continue to follow you to see where you have been, where you are, and where you are going. Enjoy and be safe !

    Your new friends,

    Charlie and Ramona & kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you enjoyed West Virginia and its beauty. Desirae was sad to see you leave Saturday. YOu should have stayed because we had a great time Saturday night. Have a great and safe trip... Danielle and Desirae

    ReplyDelete